So is that it? Isn’t there any solution for this frustrating problem? Well, there is a bulk of solution for this problem—among those, Hair Transplant Surgery ranks top as the most convenient and effective way.
Hair transplant is a surgical method in which new hair follicles are transplanted from the hair growing scalp to the balding or barren area. As it is the form of restoring the sterile area, it is also termed as hair restoration.
It is an expert-proven method of getting rid of the annoying appearance issue. However, as there are way too many techniques for transplant, it could put the sufferers in a dilemma on which fits them the most.
FUE and FUT are two primary methods of hair transplant (Picture: TheIdleMan)
Nevertheless, this article craves to lessen their burdens as we will discuss the major three forms of hair transplant with their pros and cons. So, sit tight and get powered up for an informative ride!
Prominent Methods of Hair Transplant
1. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Follicular Unit Extraction, also best known as follicular transfer, is the technique of hair transplant which involves removing follicular units from the donor areas and implanting them into the balding areas. The specialists carefully remove individual hair follicles from a hair-covered part and then insert them into the barren area where they create a pre-incision. This method is most common among the others and comparatively less painful.
However, it is a necessity to have a depth look at its pros and cons before choosing it as your go-through option.
- The method proves to be less painful as small punches are made into the skin.
- FUE is one of the most advanced transplant technology which ensures that the transplanted hair looks completely natural.
- As the method involves making small, round punches to the back of the head, the scars look like a small dot; this stays virtually invisible.
- Given smaller scars, it takes minimal time to heal as there is no need for stitches or scalpels.
- As the method requires the use of advanced technology, it is costly to perform.
- Besides, another drawback of the FUE method is that it needs more time to complete the procedure which could be the spot of bother for the doctor and the patient as well.
- The process also provides a soft corner for a transaction as the procedure entirely depends on the Surgeon’s speculation & forecasting to know about the hair roots direction.
Who Should Choose FUE? : The method is suitable for the people with a smaller area of baldness. Among all people, English footballer Wayne Rooney has opted it; why not you?
2. Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Another conventional way to wave goodbye to the baldness is Follicular Unit Transplantation. It is the effective technique of implantation in which the transplantable part of the skin is cut and grafted on to the balding area. As the process involves cutting the skin, stitches become a necessity to cover up the wound.
Let’s have an insight into the pros and cons of the FUT method.
- The method is less time consuming since a large number of follicles can be transplanted in one session (up to 2000 units in one session).
- FUT is a highly-recommended method for those patients who are unable to commit to multiple surgery dates as one sitting could yield a sustainable result.
- Besides, the technique is cost effective as it can be carried out in less time with minimal efforts.
- FUT method possesses a higher rate of follicle survival.
- The major demerit of this transplant method is the risk of scarring which generally takes a longer recovery period.
- Besides, the additional treatment could result in stretching of the scalp which worsens the created scars.
- As the method involves the use of sutures or staples, it can cause prolonged discomfort for the patient.
Who Should Choose FUT? : As the technique has a higher rate of follicle survival, the patients with limited hair in the donor area are recommended to go for the FUT treatment. But make sure that you are unhindered by cuts, scars, and a long recovery period.
3. Direct Hair Transplantation (DHT)
This method of hair transplant is described as the modified version of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) which results in immediate implantation of grafts after extraction without keeping in a hold. The hair follicles get implanted one by one on the thinning area which needs to be restored. Besides, this method avoids the need for any incisions over the entire scalps, unlike the FUE technique.
To get more detailed about the technique, it is mandatory to know its merits and demerits.
- The method is pain-free as it involves the use of modern technologies.
- Use of unique DHT tools helps to place each hair follicle in a specific direction, angle, and depth which aids in a better result.
- Besides, the technique ensures the maximum survival rate of hair follicles and avoids scars and stitches.
- As the process is carried out by certified specialists, the implant looks natural and risk-free.
- The process takes much more time to get completed which could last for 10 hours or more.
- DHT method uses modern technologies for a transplant which results in a higher cost.
- Most importantly, this method is not suitable for those patients who are on certain blood thinners.
Who Should Choose DHT? : This process should be chosen by the people who have advanced hair loss. As it is the modern technique, the results promise to be on the affirmative side.
As the treatment opts to favor those who can adapt to the kind of the technique, it is an utmost necessity to recognize which of these surgeries suits you the most. For that, direct doctor counseling spots out as a potent option.